- Suzuki Teacher Training – Spain 2019
- Louis Vaughn – Lesson with Mary McCarthy An account by Louis Vaughn of a recent lesson with Mary:
I have been learning the piano for the last two years getting lessons here and there but never consistently. The lessons would usually consist of me telling the teacher what I wanted to work on and that was about it. The first lesson I had ...
- 2020 Spain Suzuki Teacher Training Dates Details of the 2020 Suzuki Teacher Training Courses taking place in Spain are now available from the Spanish Federation website:
Enquiries and bookings can be made by contacting the federation directly at: email@example.com
- Spring 2020 Scotland Suzuki Teacher Training Dates Teacher Training and Irish Traditional Music – 14th and 15th March 2020 – Edinburgh
Teacher Training – 3rd-5th April – Edinburgh
- Mary McCarthy Visits Cusco 2011 MARY MC CARTHY VISITS CUSCO- 2011
Written by Flor Canelo, Suzuki and traditional piano teacher in Cusco, Peru
This last January, we enjoyed the visit of Mary McCarthy to Cusco. We had a wonderful time together working with the students in Cusco, in our passion, the traditional music of our countries, Scotland and Ireland (Mary) and Perú (Flor).
- Irish Suzuki Piano Teacher Reunion
Photo from a reunion of Irish Suzuki Piano Teachers, taken at the Loughrea Hotel, Galway, Thursday 20th June 2019
- Hamish Napier’s Thoughts on Suzuki Piano I have been a pianist in an accompaniment role in Scottish Traditional music bands for eight years. I have been influenced and taught by top trad piano players such as Brian McAlpine (Session A9), Andy Thorburn (Blazin’ Fiddles) and David Milligan (The Unusual Suspects). I have also been fortunate to be able to pass of ...
- Minutes of BA Scottish Music Piano Staff and Student meeting 2009 RSAMD SCOTTISH PIANO ‘COLLECTIVE’
Minute of the BA Scottish Music Piano Staff and Student meeting held at held at 11am on Monday 29th June 2009 in the Concert Hall of the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama (RSAMD)
Present: Dr. Joshua Dickson (only Initially to welcome all present)
Mary McCarthy (Chair)
Hamish Napier (notes)
- Lauren Tait- An Exploration of the Suzuki Traditional Piano Movement Click on the link below to read a description of the Suzuki Traditional Piano movement written by Mary’s former pupil Lauren Tait:
An Exploration of the Suzuki Traditional Piano Movement- Lauren Tait 2011
- Suzuki Teacher Map Northern Irish Suzuki teacher Mary Hanna has compiled a map showing the geographical spread of those for whom Mary has been a Suzuki Piano Teacher Trainer.
- RCS Room Dedicated to Ronald Stevenson
Room 1.54 at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland has been dedicated the Ronald Stevenson Room, in honour of Ronald’s influence on the development of the piano within the RCS Traditional Music Department. Mary wrote:
“When I started teaching piano on the new Traditional Music degree course, it was to Ronald I went, week in and ...
- Scottish Suzuki Piano Course | Little Ireland Arts Collective (LIAC) Scottish Suzuki Piano Course
Little Ireland Arts Collective (LIAC)
As part of the world-wide celebrations for “Irish Week”, which includes St. Patrick’s Day, Mary McCarthy is working with the Little Ireland Arts Collective to organise two Traditional music events in the Edinburgh Society of Musicians on the afternoons of 23-24 March 2019. Suzuki teacher training will ...
- The War to End All Wars – 17/11/18, St Giles Cathedral The War to End All Wars is a concert of music and spoken word presented by peace charity Dove Tales and exploring successive wars, from World War One to the Iraq war and beyond.
- Events – October / November 2018 – UPDATED Events in October and November 2018
- Bridges concert programme Details of the Bridges concert series, 2017-2018
- Teacher Training dates 2018 Suzuki Piano Teacher Training Dates in Spain and Latvia, 2018-2019
- Riddle’s Court Sessions 10th May 2018
Celebrating the wonderful heritage of Scottish & Irish traditional piano music we can look forward to a beautiful and transporting evening of outstanding entertainment.
- Blas Éireann | A Taste of Ireland
A Taste of Ireland
Thursday 22nd March from 5:00pm till 6:30 pm
Irish Consulate, Randolph Crescent, Edinburgh
Anne Connolly is a widely published Irish poet whose work encompasses many themes. She has performed at numerous Festivals and events throughout Ireland and Scotland. A former Makar of the Federation of Writers (Scotland) she is their current chair. Anne believes that ...
- Piano Teacher Training Course all Levels, Edinburgh UK Piano Teacher Training Course all Levels, Edinburgh UK
Mary McCarthy, ESA Piano Teacher Trainer UK
8 – 9 July 2017
1 – 3 September 2017
8 – 10 December 2017
8 – 11 April 2018
Teacher training days are arranged for individual teachers over the course of the year.
Examinations Levels 1,2,3,4 and 5
12 April 2018
8 July 2017 9:00am to 12 ...
- Cartel Curso Suzuki Piano Course Madrid May 2018
Suzuki Course in Madrid 19-20th May 2018 with Mary McCarthy
- Visit to Northern Ireland, February 2018 The newly established Northern Irish Suzuki piano community welcomed my tutor, mentor and friend Mary McCarthy for an eagerly anticipated workshop.
This was a nourishing experience for both the young and teenage groups. Each group opened with a concert followed by short individual lessons and concluded with a group activity. The teenagers finished with an enthusiast ...
- Bridges Concert Programme Spain February 2017
Algeciras, 22nd February 2017
Boecillo, 25 th February 2017
Irish Air. Morrissey’s Jig. Mary McCarthy, Traditional
Gigue; from Partita n 1 in B flat Major, last movement (Suzuki Book 4). J. S. Bach
Rondo (Suzuki Book 4). W. A. Mozart
Lord Inchiquin, Fanny Power, Sí Beag, Sí Mór. T. O’Carolan
Andante; from 2nd movement, Sonatina in C major (Suzuki Book 3). ...
- Previous performances and workshops
March, 2016 Awarded a second Travel Scholarship to Serbia, to return, to further study and engage with musicians and composers, some of whom are professors in Novi Sad Academy, whom Mary has already met on a previous travel scholarship there,when she met many musicians and composers who gave her invaluable help with this research. She played Serbian and her own arrangements of Irish ...
Just boarding my flight to Belgrade,Serbia.
Nineteen years since I met Professor Statkic and many others, tomorrow,we will meet again…
This is my last night here in Novi Sad, Serbia, for now.
I will be back-dates have already been discussed, in a provisional way.I am sitting and enjoying looking at the music I have been given by the ...
- Ronald Stevenson
I first met Ronald in April 1988 in Edinburgh.
The occasion was an afternoon of music-making,with Ronald playing and teaching-all part of Ronald’s 60th Birthday Celebration hosted by European Piano Teachers’ Association.
The energy, warmth, phenomenal pianism, breadth of knowledge, sense of fun, humanity, in the way he dealt with each little pianist, all of these and much more, ...
- Bridges – Edinburgh Festival Fringe 2015
3 unique concerts from Edinburgh based pianist
Mary McCarthy, celebrating 20 years continuous development in bridging the music of Serbia and Scotland.
Edinburgh Festival Fringe 2015 19th, 24th and 26th August – Venues vary
PIANO TRANSCRIPTIONS OF IRISH AND SCOTTISH MUSIC
Aug 19, 2.30-3.30pm (£8/£5)
The Jazz Bar | Fringe Venue 57 | BOOK
Edinburgh pianist Mary McCarthy is back for ...
- Edinburgh Festival Fringe 2013
Traditional Piano Music from Scotland and Ireland
4pm 13 August (1 hour)
The Jazz Bar
‘Mary McCarthy beguiles with understatement and glistens with melodic clarity. The harmony is at times compound but never over-played showing no need to force the vernacular. As such, this is the only recent solo piano recording of the Gaelic and Irish traditions that ...
- Step into my Parlour I went along to see Michelle Burke‘s show last night at the Fringe-its at Royal Oak.Its called, “Step into my Parlour“.
Michelle is in her “parlour”,,, you can see photos of it on her Twitter page. Its a real “step-back-in-time” experience but with Michelle’s sense of humour and her great voice, with James Ross as ever, ...
- Valledolid Concert I am just about to leave for Madrid airport to return home to Edinburgh after a fantastic week.
My concert in Valledolid was a wonderful experience for me and also the audience (of every age) loved the Scottish and Irish music and the stories behind the music. I had the perfect translator – one of the ...
- World Saxophone Congress 2012 I am just leaving for St.Andrews for the rehearsal at 1pm. Fantastic rehearsal on Sunday – fantastic fun doing it with all the saxes-including Baritone Sax.
In our group is the legendary Claude Delangle, who is Professor of Sax at the Paris Conservatoire… Only the third Prof since Adolphe Sax, the Belgian who invented the sax in ...
- Upcoming concerts JULY World Saxophone Congress 2012, St Andrews…
Mary will be performing as part of the opening concert of the World Saxophone Congress XVI at Younger Hall in St Andrews on Tuesday the 10th of July.
AUGUST Concerts in the Edinburgh International Festival Fringe…
Mary will be performing ‘Songs of the Outer Hebrides’
Wed 22nd/23rd/24th August, 7.30pm at the Danish ...